|Original author(s)||Norm Worthington,|
|Developer(s)||The Software Toolworks|
|Initial release||Late 1987; 34 years ago|
|Operating system||macOS, Windows|
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing is an application software program designed to teach touch typing.
Latest version: 20.0 See all. Developer: Broderbund. Review Comments (5) Questions & Answers. No specific info about version 15.0. Please visit the main page of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing on Software Informer. Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Deluxe (v. 15) - box pack - 1 user overview and full product specs on CNET. Mavis beacon is a popular typing software that most commonly use for educational purpose. There is no free download for the latest version but its older versions are given for free. Most schools, popular or less known, in rural or in urban areas are using this typing software to let their students know the proper ways of typing.
According to Vice, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing is not a game, rather a 'system for teaching you how to type without looking at the keyboard'.
The typing program was initially released in late 1987 by The Software Toolworks and has been published regularly ever since. The original version was written by Charles R. Haymond, an independent computer programmer living in Berkeley, California, who later worked for the Department of Homeland Security. The first version written for MS-DOS was created by Norm Worthington, Walt Bilofsky, and Mike Duffy. Editions of Mavis Beacon are currently published by Encore Software (hybrid Mac and Windows) and Software MacKiev (macOS only) and are available throughout the retail sales world. An early version supported both QWERTY and the alternative Dvorak Simplified Keyboard layout. Later versions supported only QWERTY until the 2011 Ultimate Mac Edition from Software MacKiev which returned full Dvorak keyboard lessons to the product. Earlier versions were made for Apple II, Commodore 64, Atari 8-bit family (version 1 only), Apple IIGS, Atari ST, Mac OS, Microsoft Windows, Palm OS (version 16), and Amiga. The current[when?] Windows and Mac versions are published under the Broderbund trademark by both Encore and Software MacKiev.
The program includes a number of speed tests and constantly tracks the user's words-per-minute typing speed. It also includes a number of typing games of which some versions have been included since the first release. (The 2011 Ultimate Mac Edition for macOS, published by Software MacKiev, also includes two-player competitive typing network games, integration with iTunes, Dvorak keyboard support, practice typing song lyrics, RSS news feeds and classic novels.) A certificate of achievement can be printed by the user upon the completion of tests.
Mavis Beacon is not a real person. The original photo of Mavis Beacon was of Caribbean-born model Renee L'Esperance. She was introduced to Les Crane, the former talk-show host, while he was shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills. Crane, who was then a partner in The Software Toolworks, devised the sobriquet.
Mavis Beacon's first name was taken from Mavis Staples, lead vocalist for the Staple Singers. The surname derives from beacon, as in a light to guide the way.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
A favorable review in 1987 by Peter Lewis, technology writer for The New York Times, gave the program an early boost. Compute! favorably reviewed the program in 1989, stating that children, adults, and experienced typists would find it useful, and citing its support of Dvorak training. The Washington Post felt the product 'conceals the typing drills rather nicely behind a game'.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing II
Paul Tyrrell for Amiga Format wrote that the program was well researched, well written, and easy to use. Nick Veitch for CU Amiga felt the product was much more interesting than other educational multimedia products.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Version 5
Superkids described it as a 'well-polished program'.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing For Kids
Metzo Magic appreciated that the game had only few Americanised words, which increased the game's appeal in areas that use British spelling.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Version 9
The New York Times noted that by 1999, the product wasn't the 'flashiest' option for players.
By 1999, the series had sold over six million copies.
Macgo iphone cleaner. On April 21, 2000, two products reached the Top Selling Educational Software list: Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 10.0 (4th) and Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 5.0 (8th).
- ^Norman Worthington: Executive Profile & Biography, Bloomberg, ..One of Mr. Worthington's earliest ventures was Software Toolworks, one of the first highly successful consumer software companies..
- ^ abBiersdorfer, J. D. (31 December 1998). 'Next They'll Say Betty Crocker Isn't Real, Either'. The New York Times.
- ^Walt Bilofsky's Home Page - Software Publisher, .. I was one of three programmers who designed and created the perennial software hits The Chessmaster and Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing..
- ^'What's Mavis Beacon Up To These Days? Nothing. She's Fake'. www.vice.com. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- ^Codex Gamicus:Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- ^MACKLIN, William (November 19, 1995). 'Supertypist Mavis Beacon Is A Creation Of Marketing'. Seattle Times.
- ^Lewis, Peter H. (17 November 1987). 'PERSONAL COMPUTERS; Feedback In Typing Program'. The New York Times.
- ^Randall, Neil (January 1989). 'Mavis Makes It Easy'. Compute!. p. 70. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- ^Reid, T. R. (1992-11-01). 'OF MICE AND KIDS'. Washington Post. ISSN0190-8286. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- ^ ab'Amiga Reviews: Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing'. www.amigareviews.leveluphost.com. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- ^'SuperKids Software Review of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Version 5'. www.superkids.com. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- ^'Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing For Kids Review by metzomagic.com'. www.metzomagic.com. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- ^'Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, Version 9'. archive.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- ^Biersdorfer, J. D. (1998-12-31). 'Next They'll Say Betty Crocker Isn't Real, Either'. The New York Times. ISSN0362-4331. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- ^'GET INFO'. www.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing by Encore (Windows and Mac editions)
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing by Software MacKiev (Mac OS X edition)
A lot of professional people knows how to type. They even type very fast. But most of their method or their typing skills does not follow the correct principles of typing. For every keys on a keyboard, there is a finger assigned to it. To follow the correct principles, every keys should be touched by the designated finger. The thumb, index, middle, ring, and point was assigned to a certain keys. By knowing and familiarizing the correct assignment, the typist can attain the maximum speed.
Mavis beacon teaches typing is more than a typing tutor. Of all the typing software out there, Mavis beacon was the most user friendly. It has a lot of tools. It has a lot of lessons. It has a lot of languages. And it has a lot of games if ever a student wants not only to learn but also to have fun while learning.
By time you start using Mavis beacon, it will also allow the student to record all his taken lessons. That way the can monitor his progress. It has also typing test and even while playing typing games, the result will be taken and compared to the preliminary results. Through these recorded data, Mavis beacon will be able to provide the necessary information about the progress of the student.
Mavis beacon has gone popular throughout the globe. In Americas, in Asia, in Europe, and even in Africa, Mavis beacon has been known. Most professional can attest that during their elementary or secondary education, they have used Mavis beacon.
For computer's compatibility, Mavis beacon has no problem with it as they have the compatible version for all types of operating system. For lower version of windows, lower version of Mavis beacon is compatible with it. For higher version of windows, latest version is compatible with it. For mac OS system, Mavis beacon has also a compatible version with. It's just depends on the user what the best version is the right for him.
Get the latest version of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing software:
These are the older versions:
Get it from Amazon@ $39.99
Get it from Amazon @ $28.88